My name is Greg Underwood and my wife Margaret and I live at Redland Bay. I have no political affiliations and I’m not associated with any vested interest group either development or environmental related, therefore I will not be accepting donations from any of these groups.
For the past year or so I’ve been concerned with the decision making process and direction of the present council, not only in relation to development approvals but also in relation to major projects and works programming in general. Many other residents share my concerns but are largely unaware of why this is happening, or what they can do about it.
We need to “Restore the Balance”.
I have 30 years of experience working in local government management, specifically in Urban Planning and Infrastructure. This includes time with Redland City Council as General Manager of Infrastructure, Policy and Planning so I know well the workings of Council and what is required for this City. Given this background I have a good knowledge of how State and Local Government planning relate to each other, and how Redland City’s Planning Scheme works in relation to development applications.
Like many of you I see issues that need urgent attention. Road congestion, demand for sporting fields, environment health, lack of infrastructure and planning issues all require a council that is prepared to roll up its sleeves and get on with the job of looking after the Redlands community.
The community’s concerns are not necessarily against urban or economic development, they just believe that the best community outcomes are not being achieved and I agree. My intention is to return a more balanced approach to the decision making process and to reinstate Council’s democratic processes.
As I will not be compromised by political donations I will not need to absent myself from discussion and voting on important issues. I will ensure accountable and transparent community representation.
I have never been a politician, however I believe that I have a depth of knowledge in local government in general and Redland City Council specifically which makes it possible to realistically improve community outcomes. Therefore I ask for your support and your vote in March 2016.
I am looking forward to meeting and listening to residents over the coming months, so please tap me on the shoulder when you see me out and about and say good day.
My engineering and Government experience gives me exactly the right skills required for the job at hand.
- Experience to represent the community – My team and I were responsible for the development and adoption of the Redlands Community Plan 2030.
- Experience to review the draft City Plan and implement a revised plan – I was responsible for Urban Planning and Planning Scheme Development and Adoption including amendments from 2006 to 2012 . I was also responsible for the Development and Adoption of the “Cairnsplan”, the first and only Planning Scheme with integrated infrastructure charging and a works development manual. I led the team to deliver the Cairns Esplanade Project from inception, through concept development, environmental assessment, community planning and consultation to final design.
- Experience to deliver a best outcome Toondah Harbour Project – as I was responsible for the Cairns Esplanade Project I understand the need for an upgrade to our Foreshore Transport Hub while balancing the delicate nature of the area to ensure a liveable, buzzing area is produced.
- Experience to take a pro-active approach towards our road congestion – I was responsible for roads, transport, environmental, social and community project development, planning and delivery programming for Redland City from 2006 to 2012. Prior to working at Redland City Council I was responsible for the planning and delivery of many major civil engineering projects over a 30 year period including Olympic Pool construction, saleyards, building, bridge and road construction across NSW and Qld
- Experience to deliver employment opportunities for Redlands – I was responsible for the negotiation of conditions on all major urban and commercial development applications in the Cairns/Mulgrave region from 1990 to 2003
- Experience to lead and understand the working of council – I was responsible for the preparation and adoption of Redland City Council Corporate and Operational Plans from 2006 to 2010 I have also been a private consultant with State Gov. experience
- Experience to negotiate infrastructure charges the ensure developer cost burden isn’t placed on rate payers – I was responsible for the Development and Adoption of Redland City Infrastructure Charges Scheme.
|FOLLOW GREG||[top_25 title=”facebook” image_type=”circle64″ url=”https://www.facebook.com/gregunderwood.redlands/” new_tab=”yes”]||[top_25 title=”rss” image_type=”circle64″ url=”https://election2016.moretonbayislands.com/author/greg_underwood/feed” new_tab=”yes”]||[top_25 title=”email” image_type=”circle64″ url=”https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=GregUnderwoodElection2016&loc=en_US” new_tab=”yes”]|